Dr Wrighton’s research interests are in twentieth century American literature and culture, the study of poetic schools and movements in modernist and avant-garde poetry, and the “turn to ethics” in literary theory. Through creative and critical enquiry and in cross-disciplinary collaborative and archival work, his research explores the intersections between literature, society, and ethics, through perspectives from cultural history, ecology, philosophy, and literary theory.
A list of his most recent publications, and speaking engagements, can be viewed here. His publications have received wide critical acclaim (reviews in Textual Practice 25:2 , and by the mainstream press in Times Higher Education).
Dr Wrighton welcomes expressions of interest from prospective PhD students (email J.Wrighton@brighton.ac.uk). Scholarships may be available through the AHRC TECHNE Doctoral Training Consortium (see University of Brighton Doctoral College for further information). His supervision to-date includes:
- Richard Lyus, BSc (Kings College London), MBBS Medicine (Univ. of London) – Lead Supervisor for PhD project, “Reading JM Coetzee in the Abortion Clinic”, 2016-19
- Sam Cutting, BA (Sheffield Hallam Univ.), MA (Univ. College London), PGCSE (Canterbury Christ Church Univ.) – Lead Supervisor for AHRC TECHNE PhD project “Complex Machines: Representations of Technology in Twenty-First Century Fiction,” 2015-17
- Joel Roberts, BA (Univ. of Brighton), MA (Univ. of Sussex) – Lead Supervisor for AHRC TECHNE Associate PhD project “Textual Ethics, Postmodern Fiction, and the Global City Space,” 2014-16
- Jian Farhoumand, MA (Univ. of Edinburgh), MA (London Film School), MPhil (Univ. of Sussex) – Lead Supervisor for PhD project “Postwar American Poetry and the Cinematic Influence: Charles Bukowski and the Beat Poets,” 2014-16
- Ahlia Moussa, BA (Univ. of Alberta), MA (Univ. of Western Ontario) – Research Intern, Modern Literature and Culture Research Centre, Ryerson Univ. (Toronto), Jan-Feb, 2012
- Andrew McEwan, BA (Univ. of Toronto), MA (Univ. of British Columbia) – Research Intern, Modern Literature and Culture Research Centre, Ryerson Univ. (Toronto), May-July, 2012
A list of Dr Wrighton’s most recent publications, and speaking engagements, can be viewed here.